Sunday, December 15, 2019

One year ago

One year ago today I happened to be in Connecticut from the weekend when we got that phone call.

Here are the things that I learned 1 year ago:
- only 30% of people that suffer a brain aneurysm make it to the hospital.
- Hospital waiting rooms are never comfortable.
- There is an app for the Hallmark channel
- It's okay to ask for help.
- Hospital waiting rooms have the Hallmark channel.
- Nurses don't think youre in the way (as long as you get OUT of the way when they need to do their work)
- My family can always find the pizza and beer that is closest to the hospital.
- When you ask for help and prayers, people will actually do that for you.
- If you don't recognize your pastors voice on the other end of the phone it's okay, he won't judge (you still listen during services)
- My family will drop everything to be sure that one of our own is not alone.
- some nurses do not like Christmas lights. (okay, so there was a restriction in the ICU)
- Even if you can't plug things into outlets in the ICU, you CAN still find CD players that take batteries (many, many, many batteries)

I learned many more things. Some that I wanted to learn, some that I would have rather not learned when it comes to medical information. But one year I learned a lot. Most importantly, I learned that my family is amazing, and the people that I have surrounded myself with are also some of the most wonderful people and I am lucky to call them my friends.

I will have many thoughts over the next few weeks as I recall what happened one year ago today. Right now, I'm choosing to be thankful for the people that were so wonderful to me.

No comments: