Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Selfish knitting

With all of the gifts that I make, and all of the charity knitting that I do, I have decided that I want to be a bit more selfish about my knitting this year.

I know, I know it's not really "nice" but hey, we all need a bit of selfishness in our lives.

I've had Anne Budd's "Knitted Gifts" book in my library for a long time. It's got some great patterns. I have always loved the hat and mittens on the cover, and since I need a new hat and mittens, and I had some great yarn in the stash, I cast them on for myself.






I am pleased with how these came out. A few comments

1. It calls for worsted weight year and sized 9 needles. I am surprised that it calls for that sized needle. I had a bulky weight yarn, and size 7 needles for the hat and size 6 for the mittens.
2. It's a loose fitting hat, so I started the decrease early. It's a loose fitting hat.
3. I also like a close fitting mitten. The next time I make these (and I will) I will probably cast on fewer stitches for the cuff of the mitten.
4. The mitten says to start the thumb gusset at 2 inches or 1 cable repeat. I will do 2 cable repeats. I think a mitten should be long and go under your coat cuff.
5. While I love the yarn that I used (rowan plaid) I'll use something that gets better stitch definition next time. The cable doesn't stand out enough for me.
6. I love this cable pattern. It's one of those charts that you can really "see" as it develops.

This year I really want to learn new techniques. What did I learn on this mitten? Bobbles. Yup, just never did them. I think they could be fun in moderation.

Kitchener stitch!!!! I see this as being a learning process. Once again, the cast on bind off book has totally come in handy here and I did well.

My apologies for the lack of links, I can't do them on the iPad app, and I am minus a computer till the wallet allows.

No comments: