Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Post where I review InTransit



Let's face it, the name of this blog is Theatreknitter. It has this name because along with being an avid knitter, I am an avid theatre-Goer. I worked in the Theatre industry for over a decade, and I continue to support arts and entertainment organizations.

So, here is where I review In Transit: WARNING: the website will play music (likely my only bad comment for the rest of this post).


What is In Transit:
In Transit is an all accapella musical. yup, you heard me. All of the sounds in the production are made by the human voice. Sign me UP!. The story is a somewhat typical New York Story. How lives interact when you live in a city of millions of people. While we've all heard the story before, I love how it was told. All of the interactions happen on the Subway. We learn early that over 1 month of your life every year is spent in Transit. A lot can happen in one month.

What did I love:
All of it. I loved the staging and how they used the space incredibly well. They did not over do anything on the set, because they didn't have to. The production was definitely about the music, the sounds, and the story. Now, of course there was an evening gown made out of metro cards. Would you expect anything else? While I love a psectacle show with big sets and lots of costumes, and a show that makes me leave humming the scenery, i also love a production that is simple. That truly gets to the heart of the story. That reminds the audience that it's not about the scenery and the lights and the costumes, it is about the story being told. Listen to our story. With In Transit, it's also about listening to the sounds. There were certainly stand out performances from certain actors on the stage.

MOYA ANGELA: : WOW, just WOW. She portrayed multiple characters in the production. My favorites were Althea and Momma, but probably Momma. She was amazing.

STEVEN “HEAVEN” CANTOR : He's a machine. I was blown away.

MARGO SEIBERT : so wonderful. She told a beautiful story.

The cast as a whole performed as a true ensemble, and it is the reason that the ensemble Tony award should exist. The sound design was perfect (oh right, no tony for that either)

Why did I see it?

A good friend had already seen the show, and had gushed about it. We lost her suddenly this month. I was heading into the city for an open house memorial for her, and I knew that I wanted, and sort of needed, to see a show. There was not a lot available on Todaytix for discounts, and it was BroadwayCon Weekend (oh yeah, you didn't know that there was broadway con? now you do...

I saw that tickets were available, and grabbed them. I couldn't be more happy that I did.

On My experience with TodayTix
I was super pleased. Fees were a touch High, but I would 100% do it again. I did not know my seats sin advance, but I was okay with that. The concierge was waiting outside the venue, very polite. I was even running late, and she couldn't have been more polite. I would use it again (and check my social media feed for a discount)

I would love to see this show have a long life. I know that shows at Circle in the square don't tend to be in the space for a long time, but I really really hope this show has a life. I believe it could have a great off Broadway life. I fear that it may not tour well, if only because it is such a new york story, but I certainly hope that it does.



No comments: