Tuesday, February 13, 2018

When I saw Hello Dolly. . . .

If someone told me "That production of Hello Dolly was the last Broadway show you will ever see again" I would be perfectly fine with what I have seen in my past, and having this be my last Broadway show.

When I received my Hello Dolly Tickets for Christmas I was shocked. In my family, you know when the gift is special because people pull out cameras. I hadn't really asked for anything big for Christmas, In fact I don't think I asked for anything. I wasn't really expecting a camera worthy gift. My family shocked me with 2 tickets.

I try not to be the type of person that only wants to see one performer in a show. Of course I wanted to see Josh Groban perform in "Great Comet", but if I had seen Dave Malloy, or any of the other people that would have played Pierre, I would have been happy. Yes, when we saw Come From Away I wanted to see Jenn Colella, but I had other reasons for that. Normally, I look forward to seeing anyone in a production, I am there to see the entire production, rarely am I there to see one person.

Early in my theatre going experience I saw an understudy that was amazing. When we went to see Rent, Anthony Rapp actually didn't go on. We had all slept out overnight for our tickets and he came to those of us on the evening line and said that he wouldn't be able to perform that night. I saw Giles Chaisson perform Mark. He was absolutely wonderful. Many years later I met Giles through my current job. I told him that I saw him go on for Mark. He only went on 2 or 3 times. It made an impact.

So, let's start talking about Bernadette, that's really why you are here right?
When I learned that Hello Dolly was being revived in 2017 I was thrilled. I love Hello Dolly. How can you listen to it and not be filled with joy. I dare you to listen to "Put on your Sunday Clothes" and not smile. I dare you to listen to "elegance" and not start walking to the beat. Go Ahead, just do it.... I'll wait. You did both right? I knew it. One day last year my coworker and I were both just having a rough day. We had both had a bunch of "stuff" happen. He said "I'm in a mood, I'm listening to Dolly." It worked, just listen to Dolly.

When I heard Better Midler was going into the role I thought that is incredible. Then, I found out Bernadette would be taking over the role when Bette left the show. I think I cried. I think I cried real tears. Bernadette is one of those performers that I adore. I remember watching Annie as a little kid sitting in my grandmother's station wagon in my brand new baby doll pajamas at the Drive in movie. Yes, I liked watchng the villains (Until that whole train bridge thing, that freaked me out).

I've seen Bernadette in concert, I've listened to soundtracks, I've watched the videos of Sunday in the park more times than I can count. Seeing her play Dolly, this is something I could not have imagined I would get to do.

I chose to take my aunt Christine with me to see the show. I know she loves the show, I also haven't been able to enjoy a show with her in years. I also think she was the one that orchestrated that trip to the drive in. It seemed appropriate.


We decided to only head in for one show that night. We took in a nice dinner and then headed over to the theatre. Of course it was raining, but no big. I got our tickets from the Today Tix Concierge and we headed in.


Just seeing her name on the Marquis gave me chills. I had to mentally prepare myself in case she didn't go on for some reason (I know she is human, I know things happen, I know there are understudies, I know that understudies are wonderful.... But this would be me seeing my queen Bernadette)


Our seats were way up in the balcony (Note to people afraid of heights, don't sit in the balcony at the Shubert in New York) Chris and I are both balcony lovers, so we were fine. In fact, it was great to see the show from above. The only thing that you "miss" is some of the action on the far downstage apron that goes in front of the orchestra Pit. If this bothers you, don't sit there. If you don't care (like me) or if you know you will be seeing the show again (like me) you have nothing to worry about.)



The overture started and I got chills. First things first, I LOVE overtures. I have a playlist that is only overtures. I realize what they are for (To let people get to their seats and to tell people the show is starting). To me, it's like previews at the movie theatre, miss them and you missed something important. The overture for dolly does not disappoint. It is perfect, like everything for the next 2 hours and 40 minutes of your life.

I had the chance to see Carol Channing play dolly back in 1995. She was wonderful. She was funny, she was, and is, Dolly Levi. However, all I remember is her being funny. Maybe it's because I was only 18 and wasn't looking at everything about the character and the show. Dolly Levi is more than a comedic role. Bernadette brings so many layers to the performance and it is perfection. I was bought to teas not only because I was watching her, and couldn't believe my luck in life. I was brought to tears barbecue I truly saw who Dolly is and what she is looking for. She has many fiends, but she is truly lonely. She misses her love so much.

Now, I have only been gushing about her. Let us discuss everyone else and their perfection as well. I cannot end this ridiculously endless post (you're still with me and that is shocking) without mentioning Kate Baldwin. Her performance is wonderfully Sassy and fabulous and I completely understand her Tony nomination. Again, I saw a character that I had never noticed in the past. He portrayal of Irene Malloy is one to be studied. Gavin Creel..... Oh Gavin Creel. . . . I left the show remembering so much, but the line.


Even if I have to dig ditches for the rest of my life, I shall be a ditch-digger who once had a wonderful day.

His physical and comedic timing is amazing. His performance is absolutely flawless. Charlie Stemp is absolutely adorable and Molly Griggs is hilarious and wonderful. This cast is a true ensemble. From the principals to the chorus it is a seamlessly perfect production.

Now, of course you know that I cannot end this post without talking about the technical aspects. One of the things that made this production even more perfect was the costumes and set. A friend mentioned that this show brings back to the true golden age. Yes, they could have used many fancy technical tools to create the set, instead they used classic drops that looked absolutely beautiful.


This is a production that is not to be missed. If you aren't sure if you like Hello Dolly, see it anyway. This is musical theatre at it's best. The show is a truly joyful experience that everyone should see.

No comments: