Monday, February 5, 2018

Why this Volunteer experience was perfect

I consider myself to be a really good volunteer. I can take lead if you want me too, I can stand back and wait to be told what to do when needed as well (that one is harder, but I can and will). Sometimes being a volunteer can be frustrating. You feel like you are a burden to the staff, you don't feel respected, you are told to sit and wait and nothing actually happens. Yesterday I volunteered for the TDF Autism Friendly performance of Wicked. I'll tell you more about the actual day later, I want to tell you specifically why this Volunteer experience tops the charts for me.

Responsiveness leading up to the event.

I learned about volunteering for these performances on Twitter. The Come From Away cast was posting about how amazing the experience was. After following a few hashtags, I then saw pictures of people in volunteer T--shirts. I posted on Twitter "How can one Volunteer" I received a tweet within an hour and was signed up to be notified.

I got the email about Wicked, I signed up immediately.

I received a prompt reply that I was on the list.

I received emails with good information (addresses, instructions, phone numbers). The one time that I had a question (Would I be able to lock up my bag) I received a prompt reply back.

Why does this matter? Volunteers have questions, they deserve a response. You wouldn't ignore a coworker, don't ignore them.

Well Planned day
- I had specific directions to Ripley Greer, even a follow up email that day with an address reminder.
- I arrived and we started PROMPTLY at 10 am (I used to stage manage, I don't like things starting late)
- We quickly went around the room and everyone introduced ourselves.
- We were introduced to the staff.
- We heard from the staff and collaborators about the event (Why this performance was different, why we have to be aware of the Gershwin)
- We were told specifically what we would be doing, and what we would NOT be doing.

Volunteers don't deserve to have time wasted. Time at this event was VERY respected.

Proper training
- I received the exact amount of training needed. No more, no less. I knew what I was supposed to do. I knew who to reach out to for what. People wore color coded t-shirts designating their roles. We were also told what to say to guests as they arrived at the theatre (never no, only "Let me look into that for you")

Training is important to volunteers. It's just as important to teach us what we are supposed to do, and what we are not supposed to do. At this performance, we are there to assist. We want parents and children to feel comfortable. If a parent had said to me "Would you watch my child while I get something" My normal response is "OF COURSE". Having been specifically instructed not to, I knew that I would need to put my normal "let me help with everything" aside. That is was okay for me to say "I cannot help with this"

Proper identification
Name tags, color coded T-shirts. This made the day SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

recognition
We were always told exactly how much our help made the performance and the day better. I genuinely felt that. I never felt like I was getting a pat on the head. I genuinely felt that my presence was respected.

food
Okay, this will sound silly, but it is SO NOT!!! We were told there would be breakfast. I assumed bagels and danish. NOPE! ACTUAL breakfast. Toast, eggs, potatoes, etc. This is not frivilous. Volunteers need to be FED! especially on a day like this. We left Ripley Greer at 11 and we were ALL on our feet until the end of Wicked (Have you SEEN Wicked? FYI.. It's long). If they had served danishes and muffins we would have all been sugar crashing before defying gravity. Having an actual meal was so appreciated!


I obviously have more to say about this experience. It was amazing and I'm still trying to find words. I didn't want today to pass without this shout out to TDF for creating a wonderful volunteer experience. I am looking forward to the next one.



If you want to be on the notification list for future volunteer opportunities, sign up here.

If you want to sign up to be notified about purchasing tickets to these autism friendly performances, sign up here.

No comments: