Wednesday, January 7, 2009

When is a house more than that

As a good friend would say "A House is four walls and a roof" This is very true. That statement has stuck with me for so many years. It is the statement that has really made me start thinking about the word "Want" in fact, I don't really like hearing myself say it. I guess it wouldn't be so much "want" I can want a drink of water, and that isn't so bad, but more wanting things just for the sake of wanting (though this does not apply to yarn in any way shape or form, I'm just sayin)

Well, needless to say my grandfather sold his house. This is a wonderful thing. In this economy selling any house is a big deal, but this one is a very large historic home that needs lots of work. My grandfather "outgrew" the home many years ago, and the house really ran away from him in its needs.

So this weekend I went for my first weekend of hard labor at the house. It is amazing what can be acquired in 30 years in a home, not to mention the fact that prior to that 30 years was 27 moves, 8 children, and 12 grandchildren. Now there are even 4 Great Grandchildren to add ot the list.

It wasn't so much the stuff that we moved out. . . I don't think that hit me so much. There will always be stuff, it was that no matter were I looked was a moment. A place in time that I could bring back. Standing in the kitchen I could literally smell my grandmothers food. I could go down the counter and point out exactly what cereals were in what jars, and where the grapenuts were.

In the den was the day I spent watching the Westminster Dog show with my grandma. I still love watching dog shows because of that.

There was one christmas that I can re-call where my grandfather had a train set in the basement. We normally weren't allowed down there, but the train set was there that year, so we all got to go.

The tiny hallway leading from the dining room to the kitchen is were we were always being shood from. It got crowded quickly. two people can't even pass in there it is so tight.

Then there is the dinising room. THe day of grandmas memorial service a couple of the younger cousins were playing under neath the table because there were just so many people there that they couldn't fit.

The two living rooms where there were christmas's where you couldn't see the floor. Grandpa's library which looked out over to the seaport form his desk. The walls filled with national geographics and slides.

The front stairs where us grandchildren frequently re-enacted the "So long farewell scene from Sound of Music. One of our favorite past times.

The Morning Room. Really just a front bedroom, but my favorite room in the house. THe windows look over the river. For years it was my aunt Candy's room.

My grandpaernts room. It was always off limits, but I can remember the brush set that sat on grandmas dresser. It was silver brushes and a mirror. I loved them so much. Who knows why, I never had long hair really (not for any length of time that would necessitate silver brushes)

THe middle bedroom. I can remember staying there when we would sleep over. THey would have me and cousin andrea share the same bed. this never worked out well.

The Attic which led to the widows walk. This is qwhere the brides would throw their bouquets to the waiting crowd below at at least three weddings that I can recall.

There is another bedroom that has the greatest floor. There are soldiers painted on the floor. I hope among hope that the floor is never replaced.

Outside isn't much of a yarnactually. But it proved to be so much fun for us. The front of the house which now holds a hammock. There used to be a fence around the house. As kids we would run and stand on the fence when we would here the whistle sound for the bridge. For some reason watching that silly bridge go up every hour was so amazing to us.

The gardens. tHey aren't there now, but Oh my. My grandmother's gardens were the most amazing site to see. She could make anyhting grow.

She was also quite a whiz at laundry (Hey, you raise 8 kids. You gotta be good at cooking and laundry) The clothesline is still there. At the end of the yard is a hyacinth bush. It isn't in bloom now, but when it is. WOW you will never see a more vibrant yellow. In that bush is a small hiding place. We had out own little fort.

Every corner has a story. Kind of feels like we are losing more than some walls, but an actual person.

sorry to be sappy, knittng will come later I promise.

I just had to write this down somewhere, and here seemed like the best spot.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You really should copy and paste this into an email and send it to Grandpa. I know he'd appreciate it.