Saturday, January 5, 2019

Never would I have expected....

If you had told me three weeks ago that I would be where I am right now, I probably would have told you it was a lie.

Three weeks ago today we received the call that Robin had "fallen and hit her head"

From there, we learned that it was an Aneurysm burst.

We knew that the possibility for recovery would be difficult, but we had to give her a chance at life.

3 weeks of visiting the hospital, bad coffee, soda from vending machines, arranging coverage so that we could be with her. Three weeks of "wiggle your toes" and "open your eyes" in hopes that we would see a glimmer of the aunt that I had always known.

Three weeks of friends, family, and church family supporting me with messages, texts, emails, and prayer.

Three weeks of wondering if we would see the same Robin again.

It all boils down to the past 24 hours. The hours when we knew she wasn't going to improve. The hours when she stopped breathing on her own. The hours when we knew we could honor her wishes to be an organ donor.

Organ donation doesn't work like Greys anatomy. Right now we wait to see if her kidneys will be able to be a gift to 2 recipients. And that is what they call it, these potential donors have been told that someone has offered them a gift. A gift to continue their life probably off dialysis.

These people don't know that if they receive this gift, they might need to become fans of the Red Sox and Patriots. They might grow a taste for Mich Ultra, and they are forever family.

I cannot express my thanks to friends, family, coworkers, and my church family for their support.

The New England Donor Services who walked our family through this process.

And to my aunts, my mother, my cousins, my uncles, my sisters..... may we all know how strong our family is and that we always have each other.

No comments: