Sunday, January 13, 2019

Thinking of you scarf

When I learned that one of our pastors would be leaving our church I had many thoughts (I'll discuss those later) but I also knew that I had to knit something for her. The first time I entered the church this person approached me and asked "what are you knitting?" over the past couple of years we bonded over many knitting projects that we were working on.

I had thought about working with a pattern that I know she likes, but I was reminded of the "Thinking of You" Scarf. I acquired this pattern a few years ago as i prepared a gift for another friend. I not only love how it works up, but I also love what the designer says about the pattern.


The scarf begins with a wavy eyelet rib stitch symbolizing the twists and turns of life and ends with a band of interlocking hearts to express the bonds of loving friendship and support.



yup, that was it.

I had initially cast on the project in a beautiful yarn that I had purchased from a local Artist in North Carolina, as this friend is relocating to a parish in North Carolina it seemed perfect!




I liked the purple but the texture just wasn't working out.

I stopped into JoAnne Fabric just to see if something would catch my eye. I immediately saw Lion Brand Shawl in a Cake I'm not typically a fan of big box yarn for a project like this, however it was perfect. The colors immediately reminded me of the water. Our current church is on the ocean, and she is heading to the mountains. This was it!



The project worked up beautifully.


I will say that I had some trouble keeping track of the row numbers. I downloaded a new stitch counter app called K & C counter. I am a fan.

This project was with me while I was sitting with my aunt in the ICU at Yale, it was with me while I got some shocking family news, and it was with me when I lost my aunt.



I will be 100% honest and put it out there that I DID make a pretty significant error on the project that I did not discover until I was blocking the project. I leave it to the recipient to let me know if she finds it. With the way this scarf gets worn, the average person would not notice it. Today I was able to present her with this scarf as a farewell for now (she is conveniently relocating to one of my favorite cities). With the scarf, I gave her a copy of Annie and the Swiss Cheese scarf, a symbol of my own faith journey told through knitting.





No comments: