Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hey look at me, I'm posting again

So I found this great recipe. And since I woke up this morning and it was raining(the fact that the sun is shining and it is 75 degrees now makes no difference, it was raining at 8:30) and compounded with the fact that work is kind of sucking right now. . . . I decided to cook. The recipe is from the you grow girl website and the dish is called hortopita. I look forward to trying it again because I think I made some mistakes the first time. But is does taste good, and I will SO try it again.

So, here are the pics of the dish in progress
These were the ingredients. Leeks, Feta, filo dough, and onion (I think that is actually the plastic wrap but whatever. The of course there were the greens. . . Yes folks that is really two sink fulls of greens. It was crazy. So I put the Greens to boil down, and they turned into this. The it was on to the onions and leeks. I chopped them up. And them sauteed them. First the onions, then I added the leeks. Then I squeezed all of the water out of the greens (after they cooled, and miked the greens, feta, leeks and onion in a bowl. . While all of this has been going on, I have been preparing the filo dough. You have to brush it with olive oil. Since I believe that garlic goes with everything, I added garlic to the filo dough. This was the dish before adding the greens (I ended up switching dishes, no your eyes are not fooling you. Here was the meal all wrapped up before going into the oven Oven Set to 350 and timer set for 35 minutes Out of the oven . Taking the first bite .

Comments on the recipe (what will I do different next time)
1. cook the greens longer. They are a little tough
2. chop up the greens a bit first.
3. Try it with just spinach (that makes it spanakopita I know, but still good)
4. try it with other vegetables (broccoli, carrots, anything really)
5. add some chicken to it.
6. more feta. because who doesn't love feta.

I HIGHLY recommend this dish. It was easy to do. The hardest part was not having a basting brush, and putting too many greens in the pot to boil. That could also be why they didn't cook so well. Oh, and hopefully you have a dad as cool as mine who gets you good knives, but my santuko REALLY came in handy today.

Maybe some knitting soon.




No comments: