Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wow, it has been awhile

Well, yes I am alive. It ihas been a crazy few weeks. Work is. . . . well. . .. it is work. The biggest news is this.
Yes, there are in fact two of them, and no they are not mine. My sister Rebecca is expecting twins. We are all THRILLED. THey are affectionatly being called. Thing one and Thing two and the Niephews.

In other news I got to be there for lorelai's baptism.
It was a worldwind trip, but so worth it. She was an angel the entire time. Even though Becca will possibly hurt me for posting this, I have to post the socks.

Yup, those a sparkley crosses on that child's feet. . . . . Crazy yes. While visiting home I got to see "the whole gang" for lack of a better term for them. It was great. I higly reccommend Amtrak as a form of inexpensive travel in this crazy world we live in.

Thanks SO much to Lime and Violet I got my first delivery from my CSA yesterday. Strawberries, beets, lettuce, cabbage, red potatoes, onions, and lots of greens. I will have to be an adult and try to eat beets (Elynor you were right they are not turnips). I never liked them as a kid, but I will be a big girl and try them. I have no idea how to cook greens so if anyone knows, please pass it on. It would be most helpful.

Knitting night in Greenvile is going strong. It has become my favorite night of the week. I start my class in "writing a business plan" this week, so that will be fun.

Work, well. . . . . more on that throughout the summer. I love this business that I am in, right now not loving the company I am working for and the choices tha they are making. I am keeping my eyes peeled for something that will make me a bit more happy, maybe a bit more of a paychek or at least some consistancy in hours so that I cna actually work a part time job.

I will also post a recipe today, it is SOOOOOO good.

4 cups rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind)
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey (the better the honey, the better the flavor. it's worth splurging beyond the honey in the bear =)
2 cups small diced dried apricots
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cherries (I avoid the sour/tart varieties, but that's just my preference)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup roasted and unsalted cashews

Preheat the oven to 350.

Toss the oats, coconut, and almonds together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan (it would be best to use one with slight sides). Bake and stir occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Add the fruit and cashews. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container/bag. It'll last at least a month (in theory, we usually go through it in about two weeks =)

Enjoy

No comments: