Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Let's Review

Every now and then I feel that it is nice to go back and look at where we were. So this time last year, what was I doing.

Boston?

I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...
I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset,
I hear it's nice in the Summer, some snow would be nice. . .

Well, I think the lyrics state it best, but let me state for the record. . NOTHING is definite. . . . .

After the week at home I gave my resignation at work. Rather than being stressful it was a complete relief. I really thought that this job was going to be a good spot for me, but that was not to be. instead it has been never ending frustration.

So I have been looking for jobs in New England so that I can be closer to family and friends.

Well, one of the options has always been Boston (which is where sister J is) Well yesterday I received 3 offers for interviews.

One at a knitting store on Newbury street (that is part time)

One with the ticketing software company. This is the software that I am currently using now.

And last but not least a box office management position.

And here I am. Well, I'm in Salem but close enough. Was this the right decision, you tell me. . . . Of COURSE it was. I sometimes miss the south, sure I do, but that is what vacations are for. For the first time in my life I feel in control of things. financially and emotionally. it is pretty great.

The only down side was giving up Hagrid, that was rough. I think I have truly found a place where I could be forever. This is a perfect spot here in Salem, I pretty much love it here.

So a year ago, pretty much today, I made a huge decision in my life. probably the most grown up decision I have ever made. Many people have asked me "Do you miss the theatre" truth be told, I still work within the industry, I work with theatre companies every day. I haven't left everything. That being said, I do NOT miss the drama. I do NOT miss working for a board, I do NOT miss the hours. I do miss the collaboration and the excitement of the shows. I do NOT miss the paycheck. Have I given up on my pipe dream, HELL no. Some day in a perfect world I will have my theatre. It will be right next to my yarn shop (which becca will help me run, lots of eco fibers) there will also be a children's bookstore not too far (that is for my sis to take care of) and right next door, a fabulous gourmet shop that does catering for small events (That's for Jenny B)

Yeah, back in the day we wanted our brownstone in the city, now we will settle for little shops in some small town on the shore.

Thank you to everyone for supporting me through this year. I have met some amazing people through fiber this year. Peacefulknitter, the south end knitters, knellyknits, Guido and so many more. It has been a fantastic year in Fiber for me.

Of course I can't end this without thanking piccologirl. It was her idea that I come to Boston in the first place. She opened up her apartment to me when I was pretty much at the end of my rope emotionally and financially. Thank you again Jen.

No comments: