Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pink Ribbon Illusion Scarf

First finished object gift was the Pink Ribbon illusion scarf. This is a WONDERFUL pattern by Short n Crafty Sista . As some of you may know, my mom is a breast cancer survivor. In fact, she has survived it twice. She has walked in the Avon Breast Cancer walks countless times. (Insert Shameless plug for donations to her 2009 walk here)

Well, when I saw this pattern I just could not resist.

One of these days I will start being better about recording yarns that I use. This project was done with 2 different weight yarns. The darker pink is Cascade 220, the lighter pink I have completely forgotten. It was nice to work with, though it was very loosely woven and tended to split easily. Also to finish the project I folded in the edges because it was just too un-even.

To add to this project, I added another element. When a person, any person, goes through cancer treatment they are never alone. No matter how alone they may feel, someone is behind them. Well my mom had so many people that supported her through everything. This scarf is kind of like that. You see, you can't see the ribbon unless you are looking for it. You don't necessarily know you are talking to a cancer survivor, kind of like how you do not know that there is a ribbon hidden in this pattern until you take an extra moment.

So I have had many people wear this scarf.

Christine Lavin. My mom loves music, always has it playing. I saw Christine a few months back, and she graciously wore the scarf for me.

The author Anne Hood. In my opinion, an incredibly strong woman.

A Family Friend

Bob and Dee, who have been supporting mom on the walks for so many years.


My Friend Mike.


And here she is with it . . . . . .

2 comments:

Shorty said...

I am so glad you liked the scarf. And I love how you photographed it with many different people. Thanks for the compliment.

Liz said...

What a great gift. And I LOVE Christine Lavin! She's so funny and I'm sure she was happy to help you surprise your Mom.