Saturday, October 25, 2008

Meeting My idol

Well, few people in their life can say they were close to their idol. Well, last night I was spitting distance from one of mine. Not in a "I saw him in a restaurant" way. I actually saw and spoke to Stephen Sondheim. I wish I could say it was a private meeting, it was an intimate conversation with myself and abut 800 others. It was amazing.

I almost didn't go. I didn't have a ticket, and I was planning to head down to the theatre to attempt to obtain one. I wasn't feeling well at work (running a little fever from my flu shot) but after much prodding from plurk friends, and my sister, I went.

I got downtown (after riding the PAINFULLY slow green line train) and found the theatre. There was a student there who had a ticket in his hand and wasn't sure what to do with it. I asked him "Do you have a ticket" he said yes. I said "How much" $10, and I was in. I went down, got myself a sandwich, and started texting furiously. I then looked at my ticket. Row C, third row. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went into the theatre to settle myself, and pulled out my knitting (duh, see my blog name). Then it began.

It was very much an "Inside the Actors Studio with a vocalist" The questions that were asked by the moderator were great. I was very impressed. The vocalist (Kate Baldwin) was fantastic.

They touched on many of his shows, but when I realized the shows that they didn't touch on it occurred to me just how much he has accomplished in his life. It is amazing.

They opened the room up for questions and DUDE I was in the third ROW!!!! I asked the question I knew everyone wanted o know. "Do you have a favorite? whether it was the process of getting there or the finished product. Is there a favorite?" He said No, but the one show that became what he and his collaborators wanted was Assassins. That happens to be one of my all time favorites. Everything about it is just so perfect. It is also one of those shows that can be done so many different ways.

They spent lots of time talking about Company, which many people consider his best work.

Well, that is the beginning of my weekend. I know the weather is going to be great, but I think I may lay low for this weekend so that I can get some knitting done, maybe start some spinning, and get organized. I would like to get my room re-arranged and prepared for a a bookshelf to help store my yarn and books.

Well, that was it. I have met someone who has always been on my list.

Oh, and he is apparently coming out with a book that is an annotated guide to all of his songs, He expects it will be out in a year or so. I will be first in line to get it.

3 comments:

Becca said...

dude..jealous doesn't even begin to explain how I feel right now!!!

Northeast Yarn Ho said...

Wow, that's so awesome. :) It's always amazing to meet someone you admire. Then you have a great story and great memories for the rest of your life!

Kelly said...

How amazing! What a wonderful memory you will have forever!!!