Sunday, October 26, 2008

My day in spinning

Well, today I attempted spinning for the first time. It is far from perfect but I intend to wear this like a badge of honor. (I also give my self HUGE amounts of credit for not going out and purchasing roving right away)

I learned everything I needed to know from some WONDERFUL youtube videos.



Yesterday I did try spinning with my Turkish Spindle. I had some trouble with it, as it is a bottom whirl. So today I pulled out my top whirl that was given to me by Becca. So much better.

So, Here is is in pictures.

On the Spindle




Winding (My chairs are SO clost to perfect, they are 30 inches around)


Wound into cakes



and in a scarf.


The yarn was a bit kinky. I think that means that I can let the twist travel further. Thinking back to my electrician days. . Never force a twist in a cable. The fiber is pretty much the sane way.

I wasn't very good about keeping an even weight, I am sure that will get better with time. Right now I am researching the prices of roving. I would like to get more, but certainly don't want to get anything super fancy while I am still in learning mode

Of course I made it into something, I HAD to. It looks arty and eclectic. I just love it.

3 comments:

Northeast Yarn Ho said...

Awesome! It looks way better than my first spinning attempts did. XD

allie said...

So fun!

Anonymous said...

That's a great scarf! I love the colors!