Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What a rollercoaster

The past couple of days have been a complete roller coaster ride, and not in a good way. Tuesday I was to get my first paycheck YAY, then I found out that I set up my direct deposit incorrectly so I was not actually getting my money. I finally found my money YAY, then found out that I wouldn't have it for a few days.
(edit: just checked my bank account and hte money is there. . . YAY!!)

Then the worst down of all, a friend whom I worked with on Hilton Head lost his son on Monday night. This is a terrible loss. This family has been fighting a brain tumor for over two years. From the minute he was diagnosed Henry was a fighter. he named his tumor Lamar, he questioned his doctors ("Could you be wrong") he laughed, he persevered, and most importantly he fought and he fought hard. I have not been in touch with the family for a number of years, but found out about henry's illness and was keeping track of the family through their blog. I cannot imagine the pain that they are feeling, and I myself am not feeling to great about it either.

So that is my week so far, fun huh, don't you want to trade places with me!!!

I am starting something in Henry's memory though. I have always been knitting hats for charity, well these will be called the One Up hats. I am going to find away to include the nintendo power up mushroom in the hats (even just a patch or a button)

As we dined Friday night, Henry was wearing his new favorite T-shirt which featured a green mushroom and the phrase: 1-UP. Mama and Dad commented on how great the shirt looked on Henry.

"You don't know what it means do you?" he said.

We paused a moment...

"No, actually...we don't."

"In video games," he said very deliberately, " a 1-up means
you get an extra life."

Mama and Dad shared a look deeper than the cut from a freshly-honed Henckel.

An extra life...
What parent wants more?



update: I went to the Nintendo website last night and went to the "charitable donations" link. I explained who I was and what I want to do. I am not trying to get anyhting for free from them, just want to know that if I start doing this I won't meet any difficulties by using it. Once I have the go ahead to do it, I will contact Henry's parents and ask them if I can use the story when I donate the hats.

I can't sit back and do nothing, I certainly want this child's memory to live on. So those of you on Ravelry, hopefully I will soon be starting a group which will be called "One Up for Henry" keep an eye out for it.



No comments: